Glow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We were heading into the Blue Ridge Mountains, and we had to pull into an overlook because I was feeling sick. On the right side of the road, beautiful mountains and a rainbow greeted me. When I turned around to look at the other side, these dark clouds with the glowing setting sun were there.

Specific Feedback

I’d love any feedback.

Technical Details

1/1250
f8
ISO 200
400mm

Hi Amy
Seems like nature really wanted you to feel better… nothing like a mountains sunset.

I really like these forms you found in the clouds. The bottom part really looks like mountains, and it’s made stronger by the clouds on the top, closing the frame from above. The colors are also natural and nice.

Exposure seems a bit dark, but I tend to like it. One thing I’d probably try to experiment with is different crop ratios, maybe leaving some of that black mountain side in the bottom part outside the frame (i.e. 16:9 or something similar).

Thanks so much for your feedback, Tom! I agree, it was a special moment. I’m glad to hear you appreciate the mountain-like shapes in the clouds. I will definitely try some different crops. You’re right that the bottom is kind of a big black mass that’s not adding much to the picture. I also wonder if I should cut out the brighter cloud in the top left corner. So maybe narrowing the whole thing will bring more focus to the most interesting parts in the middle. Thanks again!