Glowing Female Flicker

I got this female northern flicker on a tree trunk with a glowing, sidelit breast.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the look of this one, especially the bouncing morning light on the bark as well as the turned head look. Cropping okay?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/2500th, f 8.0, 585mm, ISO 7200, cropped to 2395 x 2780, Photo AI

Hello Dave, I like the look of this one too! I agree the side light and colours are wonderful. I love the patterns and textures in flickers and it is beautiful to see against the textures of the bark. If anything you could crop less to see more of the bark (if there is room to do that without showing other background…I love it is just the bird against the tree). More bark might tell more of the story of the camouflage of this bird which I think is very creative. I do find the head and breast a little bright.

Hi Dave. Cropping works for me. The lighting is still a bit harsh to my taste, maybe you could tone down the highlights a bit and warm the image just a tiny bit, as I agree the bird stand out really nicely with its golden like feathers ! Cheers, Hans