Golden-crowned Sparrow

I liked this for the springtime feel. This guy should be heading north in another week or so.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any. I debated wether to clone out the small branch at the bottom left.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/1000 at f7.1; ISO 250

3 Likes

Very spring-y with a lovely setting! A nice pose but he’s a little flat from being in the shade. I did a little “fill flash” with some contouring. I also cloned out the bit of a branch at the bottom.

Thanks, @Diane_Miller . Yeah, probably better without the branch. I like what you did to give the image more pop. What’s fill flash?

Allen, you caught this bird in perfect position, framed between those two branches bedecked with Spring flowers. I like Diane’s touches to it also.

1 Like

My digital version of fill flash is described here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mNzzEvYVPua4J-bcpavj8nvABaqf3yNK/view

There are other related tutorials on my web site:

1 Like

Diane’s edits offer a nice improvement to the overall comp. Fill flash is similar to Photoshops Shadows and Highlights and when used prudently produces an effect similar to fill flash. I like how the branch frames in the sparrow. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Outstanding high key image with nice detail, pose, color. I really like this one. It does have a painterly feel to it. The color contrast between the bird and flowers really makes this work well.

1 Like