Golden Silk Spider

Some of you may have many favorites from which to choose, but this year I’ve had relatively few. Jean Lafitte NP is a good source, one of my go-to locations for Iris blooms, tree frogs, spiders and other plant and animal life. Shooting telephoto macro is fun for me because of the challenge with wind conditions, exposure in sometimes difficult light, and most of all getting suitable DOF, composition and focus with long glass.

These Golden silks are my favorite of the larger species, although the Argiope runs a close second. This was full frame taken mid August in favorable morning light.

7D Mk II 100-400 II @350 on Wimberley I
ISO 400 1/125 f7.1 +2/3EV

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful, Bill. I’m amazed that you got what looks like pretty much full depth of field at f/7.1 and 350 mm. The background colors and the fine textures of the web are awesome.

Bill, a truly great look at this large spider. The soft BG color provides a perfect backdrop to outline the spider and webbing as well. No doubt an easy favorite on anyone’s list of images…:+1:

Great DOF, I was guessing a focus stack . good job.

The details and colors are great, Bill. My favorite parts are the hairy segments on the legs.

Excellent Macro, Bill! The color and details on the spider are magnificent and the bright filaments of the web really make this special. Well done!