Golden Towers

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The desert of Southern Utah is a mind-blowing landscape as seen from the air- the drone captures a whole new world not visible from the ground level and captures the warm/cool color contrast of the area’s many spectacular geologic features.

Specific Feedback

Unsure if drone images are frowned down upon here, but I enjoy using the drone to get different vantage points and look at it as a way to capture images that my feet don’t reach. I do struggle with the magenta cast and dynamic range of the sensors, though.

Technical Details

ISO 100, f/5.6, 12.29mm focal length on the DJI Mavic 3.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

I don’t think drone photographs are frowned up. I’ve seen them here before. I really like this one. The Y-shaped branching in the middle holds it together. Nonetheless, I feel like there is a lot going on. I’m not sure what the mp count in the Mavic 3 is, but I can see two really nice compositions in this one: upper left half almost square and right 2/3rds in a cinematic 16:9.

Of course, the options are endless, and you might enjoy playing with them for a bit. I imagine with a drone it’s hard to control all the variables at once (flying and shooting and monitoring battery life and distance, etc). So I think you did really well here: a nice wide shot held together by the forks of the creek/river and two more abstract shots on top of that. Win-win-win?
ML

Beth, the mix of warm and cool colors plus the branching stream look great here. While drone shots are not common on NPN, they do show up regularly. This works very well as presented. I do find myself wondering about a slightly wider view, where the junction of the three streams might be seen, provided it doesn’t add distractions… I really like how the warm light framing is enhanced by the peak halfway down on the left.