Grackles and Hay Field

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the textures and abstract/stylized feel. I also appreciate that the birds decided to show up and hang out for a while. I do wish I’d been able to have a deeper depth of field (but for what it’s worth I was hand-held at the time and chasing long-tailed grackles). I continue to debate with myself how dark I’d like the sky to be. My current preference is to keep a similar tonality with the ground to keep the primary contrast near the birds.

Creative direction

My goal for the image was to show an intimate, minimalist landscape with an abstract feel. The scene, as I came upon it, seemed a bit otherworldly (a hayfield ending at the sky), and I’m hoping to show that.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon EOS R5, Canon RF70-200 lens at 128 mm, 1/640 sec, f/11, ISO 800. Processed with Topaz Denoise, LR and PS.

Description

Taken while exploring the Central Coast of California

2 Likes

His Art, I like your vision on this one, but consider that there almost no separation in the foreground bales, so I cropped the image down a bit to edit out some of the merged bales. Then I darkened the sky a slight bit, which now gives us a foreground (birds), a middle ground (bales), and a background (clouds), giving us a sense of depth. Really good job catching the grackles. Also, as you said, consider focus stacking to get sharpness throughout. Good concept and execution, Al.

Thanks Tony, appreciate you helping us all out like this!

1 Like

You’re welcome. It’s my pleasure, Art.