Grand Canyon Beach

The morning after our Milky Way shoot, I went back down to the beach before breakfast and found some mud patterns at the edge of the beach due to the dam release “tide” in the Canyon.

5D2, 24-105 @ 28
f/11, 1/15s, ISO100

Hi @Craig_Moreau that’s a beautiful scene you have captured!

Did you use a polarized filter on this?

I like the scene and I have a few things for you to consider next time you are out in the field!

You have an interesting foreground element here with the shape of the sand but it’s missing a subject. As it is, the sand IS the subject.

I really like the strong leading line out of the top left corner and it’s taking my eye to a very intriguing subject, the canyon.

A few ways to get there is to go a bit wider with the 16-35mm (although I love that 24-105mm!) and then to get lower with the tripod. By going with a lower position you really fill the lower third with the interesting sand features, compress the amount of lake in the image, and then allow for more the canyon to be viewed!

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments @Michael_Torkildsen! I don’t currently have a lens wider than 24mm, but you’re right, I should have gotten lower for this shot.