Grand Canyon Morning + Repost

From the same location as my last shot, I zoomed in to eliminate the foreground mud and focus more on the canyon and its reflection.

5D2, 24-105 @ 73
f/11, 0.4s, ISO100

Rework to address Igor’s comment that the blue was too strong and to emphasize the warmer hues:

Second rework making the foliage cooler and boosting blue saturation in the far wall:

I really envy your trip. That must’ve been a pretty amazing experience. One thing I would do is to bring out more some of the warmer hues in the closer canyon walls and reflections. I don’t know how well that would work but the image is surprisingly low on color given it’s location. It depends on how much work you want to put into this image. The blue is too strong.

Thanks @Igor_Doncov, it was a truly amazing experience, and I am enjoying reliving it through working on my photos. Thanks for your input, I’ve posted a re-work up in the original that is warmer overall. Let me know if this hits the mark.

I think it’s an improvement but let’s see what others think. Is there a way of keeping the trees and their reflections cool? I wasn’t able to do that with my Utah tree. BTW, usually when you warm an image it also seems to get brighter. Have you noticed that?

I think the rework is an overall improvement, but I would lean toward boosting the blue saturation in the very back wall. Another good image from what must have been an amazing adventure.

Thanks @Harley_Goldman! I have posted a third version with boosted blue saturation in the far wall, and the original cooler foliage suggested by @Igor_Doncov. Igor, I had not noticed that, but looked at the edit after. I don’t know if it gets brighter, but it does seem to get more powerful, if that makes sense. Maybe just the increased saturation? Regardless, an interesting side effect of the edit.

I like everything suggested!

I like the last version and love the mistery of what we can’t see around the curve of the river where the sharpness fades. I love the photo Craig.

Great shot Craig, the second rework is the ticket for me too. I love the juxtaposition of sharpness above the water line, and the abstract softness below. I think that it comes out really nice that way, and is more artistic than a straight mirror image reflection in still water would be.

Thanks @Giuseppe_Guadagno and @Ed_McGuirk!

The third version is definitely the winner for me, Craig. It seems to strike a perfect balance between the warm and cool tones in the scene. The reflected light on the canyon walls is flat out gorgeous and I like the fact that the reflection is a little disturbed with the ripples in the water. Beautiful image.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_Lowe! It was a beautiful morning.

I was going to say what @Ed_Lowe has said already

Great image

Thanks for the comment @Aref!