Last Night in the Grand Canyon

On our last night in the Grand Canyon, we had a lovely campground with some nice side-lighting before sunset. The wind kicked up this evening, and I’m still picking sand out of everything we had at camp with us. Any and all critique and comments welcome.

5D2, 24-105 @ 65
f/11, 1/15s, ISO100

2 Likes

Craig, Could you please upload the large version?

@Igor_Doncov, I will do that when I get home tonight. I’m not sure what happened, I don’t think I did anything different than normal. Thanks!

Craig, this is the most classic Grand Canyon rafting shot of your entire series, but that doesn’t make me enjoy it any less. The light here is sweet, and whats interesting is that you have almost every kind of light in one shot, backlight, sidelight, reflected light and shade. Your processing of this mixed light is right on the money to my eye. And I’m glad you kept the blue color in the river unsaturated, it really lets the warm colors take their rightful place as the star of this show…

I love how the diagonal shaft of light on the left canyon leads to the gorgeous reflected light on the right canyon wall. Excellent work, I wouldn’t change a thing about this image.

I really love the eye-level with the water angle. It makes you feel like you’re there. I also love how the sun is lighting up the other side, it makes me want to explore the canyon. Must have been awesome to be there! I’ve never been to the Grand Canyon but everyone says that pictures don’t do it justice but I think that you just focusing on a small section of it and at the bottom probably does do it justice! I think you’ve captured this scene beautifully and the title even makes me feel sad because you have to leave it. Nice job!

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk and @Vanessa_Hill! Vanessa, it was definitely a bittersweet feeling that evening, knowing that we were leaving the river behind the next day, but so beautiful while we were there.

@Igor_Doncov, I’m trying to upload the 1600 pixel image here. It wouldn’t work when I replaced the original image in the post.

1 Like

This really captures the grandeur of the place. I particularly like the reflected colors on the wall on the right. I think you could saturate the colors more in the other areas. Make the lighter shadows still lighter to accentuate the difference. Make the sunlit areas yellowish rather that whitish. Just small things like that.

Absolutely gorgeous shot Craig, I love the light and composition. The soft glowy light in the background gives the shot a lot of depth. I think I would personally burn the foreground highlights in the water a bit or just crop a bit off the bottom. However, as is its beautiful

Thanks @Igor_Doncov and @Blake_Randall!

I like the suggestions you both made. I’ll play a little further with the photo.