Grasses, Ferns and Aspen

My first post here, learning to navigate the website . :slightly_smiling_face:

These grasses and ferns in the White Mountains of Arizona caught my eye as I was photographing fall colors. The colors became more interesting to me by using ICM.

Nikon D850, 0.5sec, 70mm, f22, ISO 50

Hello J Fritz and welcome to NPN. I’m familiar with the White Mountains of New Hampshire but was unaware they were in Arizona too, so this site sometimes teaches me a geography lesson. :grinning: This is a very pleasing abstract image and a nice example of the ICM technique. The muted colors all blend well together, and the repeating vertical lines are especially attractive as they draw your eyes around the entire composition. Well captured!

Thank you Jim. Appreciate the feedback. And i learned that there White Mountains in New Hampshire :slight_smile:

Welcome to NPN, J Fritz. This is an attractive abstract. Both the streaking and the bits of detail in the streaks look good, with the bits of detail adding extra interest. I find the extra bright white streaks in the center dominating my viewing. This may be what you intended, but I think burning them in to better match the surrounding brightness would let the viewer spend more time enjoying the entire frame.

1 Like

Welcome to NPN J Fritz. Lovely photo of this field of grass. The soft colors and ICM feel like a beautiful watercolor, to me. I agree with @Mark_Seaver about burning some of the brighter white/blues would help keep folks enjoying the entire photo. Nice job.

1 Like

J Fritz: Welcome to NPN and thanks for a fine first post. I like the second version a bit more for the more pronounced blurring of the tree trunk details. Well conceived and executed. Great to have you aboard and looking forward to more of you work. >=))>

1 Like

Hi,

I like your second version over the first. Has a more grassy feel to it over your first version. Welcome to NPN and well done…Jim

1 Like

@J_Fritz_Rumpf: Welcome to the community and nice ICM work! I like how you were able to keep some of the structure of the grasses while still getting that backlit spotlight effect with the canopy light. It looks like maybe those white streaks are birches or other white barked trees. You can sometimes selectively edit to add in texture or clarity on just those spots where the tree bark and knots come through to add back some structure to those foreground elements. In my limited experience playing with ICM, it doesn’t always work because the data just isn’t there. But could be worth a try. Nice images!

1 Like

Thank you all for welcoming to the group and all the comments on the photo. Really appreciate the feedback!