Gray Catbird + Repost for Crop

I was surprised to see this bird still hanging around NE Oklahoma on December 8, 2022. They are usually on their southward migration by September and October. I was lucky I happened to have my camera with me while I was outside, as he didn’t stay around long.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I wanted to get this shot as it’s very unusual to see this bird in Oklahoma this time of year. I shot this with my old Canon 60D and 70-300 Zoom, so the techs are probably not the best. Still, I feel like it’s a pretty decent photo.

Technical Details

Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f5.6, 1/250 sec., ISO 800, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz DeNoise applied.

1 Like

Pleasing environmental view of this catbird. Nice pose. I like the diagonal elements and the colors.

Thanks @David_Schoen. I appreciate the feedback.

A nice environmental look at the catbird. I like that you’ve included so much of the tree. I wonder, though, about cropping to remove the dark background on the right.

Thanks, Allen. Actually, after posting this I, too wondered if it would be better minus that tree on the right. I’ll post that version.

I like the crop on the re-post, but the image is darker and I think I prefer the lighter version.

1 Like

This is a lovely portrait. Sometimes its fun to come in after so many other comments and get to see a re-post. Because of the diagnoals and colours of the tree and other background I appreciate the second crop best. I too think the second post would benefit from brightening the bird a tad in relation to the background (or is it lightening the background in relation to the bird). LOL…something to make the bird stand out against the background.

Thanks, @Robena.Sirett . Yeah, the repost is a tad dark, though I don’t know why. I used the same TIFF file for the second image, and all I did was some content aware fill on that right side. Oh well, I’m sure it’s some kind of operator error… :wink: