Gray Catbird

I was going through some photos of recent trips to the local wildlife refuge when I came across this photo I had overlooked.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D7200; 100-400 mm @ 400 mm; ISO 800; f/6.3; 1/800 sec.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nicholas, this is very very nice. The softness of the light suits the puffed up feather of the bird. The background is really pleasing, too. My only regret is that the beak intersects with the reed. But we take what we get some time.

Thanks Adhika. We do have to take what’s presented to us.

Excellent, Nicholas. Great to get one out in the clear like this. My limited experience with them is as skulkers in the brush where I’ve had little more than a glimpse of them. Detail and pose are both superb as is the background.

Beautiful capture, Nicholas. Great details and a very nice complimentary BG.

Nice work finding this skulker out in the open, Nicholas. Your choice composition goes very well with the pose and the reed. The techs are good too with the soft light. I see some noise in the background, which is a quick fix.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and suggestions.