Baltimore Oriole and Gray Catbird

Here’s an immature male Baltimore Oriole and a Gray Catbird arguing over a perch at Stevenson Woods, Galveston Texas taken this past May during migration.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 1DX2 500F4 1/2500 F8, iso 1250, Gitzo Tripod, Wimberley Head

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Fantastic!! (Who won? ) Great find with wonderful sharpness and detail, against a great BG. My only nit is that the Oriole merges into the dark shadow. Any way to get a little more tonal separation?

Great timing. Amazing detail and colors against a good background.

Some wonderful poses you caught in this one, Nate. Excellent detail and composition.

Hi Nate,
That catbird has been in a few scraps by the looks of its ragged tail. Excellent action shot with perfect technique. Awesome…Jim

A dandy action shot with excellent poses. The oriole really stands out on the green bg.

Terrific composition with nice detail in both birds. Love the action, particularly of the Catbird.

Yup, this is impressive behavior and you’ve done a great job with detail in both birds though the catbird is a little sharper. Nice diagonals. Superb color and background. The perch works really well.

This is pretty great. Makes me miss south Texas. My only nit is that the oriole’s head could stand a hair more sharpening.

What a cool interaction you captured here ! Two different species in one image is often great and this is no exception ! Love it, Nate ! Cheers, Hans