Gray Fox

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A Gray Fox (male, I’m fairly certain) in my yard. The Gray Foxes still come around, but they don’t stick around since the arrival of the Red Fox family. The Red Foxes tend to be dominant.

Specific Feedback

None, really except I begin suffering withdrawals if I don’t post a fox photo occasionally. Are the rocks too bright? I tried to tone them down some. I do wish my ss had been a bit faster.

Technical Details

Gray Fox

Hand held, Canon RF 100-500mm, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz DeNoise.

I don’t blame you for being obsessed with these guys. I like that you caught this one in a sort of blasé, just wandering over here type pose even if he isn’t facing you. Too bad the reds are more aggressive than the grays want to deal with. I’ve never seen on IRL, but I have the reds so this is a treat. Keep 'em coming.

Oh and the rocks…yeah, you could take down the contrast/sharpness and/or the exposure if you want. That would give them less prominence. A scroll crop eliminating the bottom most one works, too.

Yeah, we miss the gray’s, and seeing their kits. The reds are okay, but the gray’s have been showing up practically since we moved in here. They’re practically family. :smile:

I’ll work on the rocks a bit. I did crop up a bit from the bottom already, removing a particularly offensive rock.

Hi Terry, I like seeing this fox in action shot as he moves along. I don’t see the gray foxes either so this is always a treat to see yours. I agree with Kris’ cropping recommendation. As you mention, shutter speed wasn’t fast enough to catch this guy sharply and seeing some of the eye would be nice (even though it looks closed as I look at it a second time). Still, a good catch of a fox out and about.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks. He caught me by surprise with no time to adjust the ss, unfortunately. But, as you note, I was happy to catch him on the move.