Male Gray Fox

Foxes often frequent my property, and I just as frequently photograph them. It was a raw, biting cold day when this guy came to visit today.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I like the pose of the fox and overall composition of this image. What improvements could be made?

Technical Details

Canon R7, Canon RF 100-500 @451mm, f6.3, 1/1000 sec., ISO 800 (Auto), +0.7 EV. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and crop. Topaz DeNoise.

1 Like

Terry,

Wow…what a poser! Great image.

Love that the animal stands out from the background. You did a great job of creating Bokeh.

The only suggestions I have are…you could even bump up the F stop a bit to make sure that tail is sharp. Furry animals are challenging to get it all tip to tail. I tend to shoot them with more DOF when there is enough light to do so.

I think the editing of the fox is great and you brought out the colorful fur. In the crop, you may want to take some of that lower left corner out of there as that shadow is a tad distracting…and/or heal it using photoshop. It’s not a big deal just an aesthetic thing.

It’s a power image of a fox on high alert and it’s great. Well done!

Hope that is helpful,

Julie

Oh, the stance and the stare makes this shot for me, Terry. Wonderful details in his fur. Just a great shot in my opinion.

Excellent feedback @Julie_Steelman. Just what I was hoping for. Thank you very much!

He gave me an outstanding pose, didn’t he @Shirley_Freeman ? It doesn’t hurt that he’s a beautiful specimen. Thanks!

2 Likes

You are most welcome!

1 Like

Really nice capture, Terry! His pose makes me think of a show dog. He is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing the life and times of your backyard friends with us!

1 Like

Hi, Vanessa. He’s a handsome guy, for sure! My pleasure! Thank you.

1 Like