Juvenile Red Fox

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Red Fox kits grow rapidly, looking more and more like adults every time I see one.

Specific Feedback

None

Technical Details

fox kit

Canon RF 100-500mm, hand held, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping, Topaz DeNoise

1 Like

I absolutely love your fox. I live in an area where we rarely see them, and Iā€™m always jealous when I see pictures. Your shot captures the little one just perfectly.

Beautiful pose! I love the touch of backlight through the background and the top of its head.

Wonderfully captured, Terry! :slight_smile:

Such a wide eyed curious look on this young Red, actually the look seems to be curious and worried at the same time.
The BG and the rock is so clean looking with nicely balanced color, saturation and contrast. Love the lighting.

Iā€™m really glad that you have the opportunity to document the growth of these youngsters in such an artistic way. :slight_smile: It must be an exciting experience for you!

Thanks for sharing them, Terry!

Thanks @Judi_Hastings. Iā€™m certainly fortunate to have these critters hang around like they do.

Thanks @Robena.Sirett. I agree that, while I didnā€™t have great light, the light I had was beneficial. Much more would have probably been too much.

Thanks @Merv. I was particularly interested in your comment concerning artistry. Iā€™ve been trying recently to achieve more artistry in my photography. Most of my journey in wildlife photography has been from a ā€œdocumentaryā€ perspective. Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion, but I would hope to tell a story to the viewer (the interpretation of the story is up to the viewer) and/or provide some sort of emotional connection. My pleasure. Glad you enjoyed it.

1 Like

What a wonderful image of a wonderful subject! The BG here is just gorgeous, providing an appropriate halo around the subject. I think darkening the rock would make the fox glow even more, and cloning over or darkening the small yellow highlight on the LL edge will remove a small distraction.

I applaud your journey into artistry! The subjects you find deserve it, and so do we, for our enjoyment!

Thanks @Diane_Miller. Iā€™ll play with those adjustments and see what happens.

As they say, itā€™s a journey, not a destination. The most important thing is to just continue to have fun!

This is a lovely shot, and the light and BG are beautiful. I think I would crop it so the fox is on the left side of the image, instead of its nose being almost dead center, to make the viewer wonder whatā€™s off screen thatā€™s captured the foxā€™s attention.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments, Lisa and welcome to NPN!

1 Like

A beautiful image of this young fox, Terry. I rarely see them in this area, though Iā€™m sure we have some of them around. I do like that itā€™s attention isnā€™t focused on you and I really like the lighting.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank. I know everyone wants the animal looking at them, and I generally ascribe to that, but I, too liked this pose for this particular shot. I think Red Foxes are found throughout the continental U.S., but a little more uncommon in the west.

I just love the curiosity of the fox, it appears to be quite young.
I agree with @Diane_Miller about darkening the rock.

1 Like

Hello Terry,

Wonderful image! I especially like your upward angle on the kit, and the glowing BG ā€˜haloā€™ behind it ā€“ these really make it for me! I think if this was my image, Iā€™d darken the rock just a tad, and that yellow spot at its left edge. BTW, did you say that this fox lives near you? You must be living right, brother!

Thanks for your comments @Michael_Thornton. Yes, I have a family of Red Foxes and a family of Gray Foxes that I frequently see in my back yard.