Mom & Kit

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Red Fox vixen with one of her four kits. This little one seems to be the boldest of the bunch. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get a photo of the whole family together while they’re still small.

Specific Feedback

I’m not crazy about the busy background, but that’s where these foxes live. I’m grateful to get a clear shot of the animals.

Technical Details

Mom & Kit

Canon RF 100-500mm, processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz DeNoise.

2 Likes

Terry, what a blessing to have these nearby so that you can photograph them. I think you did a fine job with the BG being close, as it seems like you caught them in an area of the tree limbs where it seems to frame them. It is where they live and they probably don’t venture too far out into the opening, not with her kits. She is being protective. I like the face-on look of her and the kit seems to be nestling up close to mom. Nice.

Very nice,. technically perfect and a tender moment. A slight crop might make the image even more powerful.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman. Yeah, mom keeps the kids under wraps most of the time, hidden from view. This little one is pretty bold, but the others have yet to show themselves in the open.

Thanks @jaapv. I tried several different crops and finally settled on tis, but I can have another go at it.

This looks great, Terry!

What a magnificent capture of the kitten frolicking near mom while mom appears to be relaxed, I’m sure she’s relaxed since she knows that you’re not a threat to her or her kittens.
She may even see you as an added level of protection.

The BG is their natural habitat as you pointed out and the level of DOF works well in my opinion.
The only thing that I can think of that would have made this a stronger image, is if it were shot in early morning or late evening light but this still works very well as it is. :slight_smile:

I hope you’re able to get a full family portrait while the kittens are still young! :slight_smile:

Perfect photo, Terry. That is a once in a lifetime shot. The background looks find to me. The highlights on the rock maybe could be lower a tiny bit, maybe, but the foxes really still the show. Great shot

Thanks for your comments @Merv. Actually, the photo was taken about 6:30 p.m., but that area of my yard is catching those last rays of sun as sundown approaches. Would like to have had a bit less intent light, but not my choice! :grin:

Thanks, @Dean_Salman. I appreciate you stopping by and commenting.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining that, Terry!
I thought it looked like the sun was in mom’s eyes but I didn’t think about the sun being almost directly behind you. Yeah…I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed these days :roll_eyes:

Still though, this works great as is IMHO, no complaints at all, especially if you’re happy with it! :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

1 Like

A very special moment for sure. Glad that at least one of the youngsters is a tear-away! Looking forward so seeing more as they grow and get out of the den. The background is not too much considering how big in the frame mom and kid are. So young and fluffy and somehow a bit unsteady looking here, but that probably wasn’t the case.

All looks fine to me! You might burn the edge of the rock near the frame, with a very graduated mask.

Mom is giving you a Drop Dead look. But maybe she’ll decide a family portrait could be OK! I hope so!

Thanks @Diane_Miller and @Kris_Smith. I doubt I’ll get anymore photos of the kits this small. I see on my trail cam videos that mom moved the kits to a new location last night. That doesn’t surprise me as that area she had them in gets a lot of other wildlife traffic.

1 Like

Beautiful frame, very nicely captured!
I find lot of value in @Diane_Miller suggestion :+1:

1 Like