Gray Whale w/ REWORK

REWORK

16x9 crop
Have replaced the sky with a gradient
(I am aware there’s a fringe on the horizon, but will take time to fix this later. This is a quick job, exploring directions)

ORIGINAL

ACR processing
Slight lifting of the shadows, moderate clarity + dehaze
Desaturation of blues and cyans
Slight vignetting
Quite drastic NR

FS cleanup in PS of some artifacts in the waves.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the image work as an abstract?

I feel it works quite well as part of a series (https://www.behance.net/gallery/118118159/Gray-Whale), but does it work on its own? (The series is a little less desaturated, haven’t quite decided which direction to take the image in yet)

I am tempted to redo the sky using a gradient to even out the light, thinking that it may enhance the abstractedness of the image BUT Photoshop does not allow a great deal of control over gradients, so am shy - don’t want it to look unnatural.

How would you envisage this image as a print?

Grateful for any feedback, even if it does not address my questions. Please feel free!

Technical Details

Sony RX100 compact in underwater housing.

5 Likes

I think it works on its own. I like the series. This one is unique with all of the smaller ripples, I think they add to the abstract tone. I like the sky I don’t know if you need to change it at all.

Really cool image, Laura. I love the textures in the water. I looked at the series, and really liked the ones with star-shaped spectral highlights as well.

For me, the sky is a little dull and maybe also too much of the frame? You might play with it to make it more interesting, but then the image could lose its simplicity. I would be more inclined to crop off some of the sky instead.

I’ll be interested to see what other think,
ML

I really like this image-- the ripples and cool tones of the water really make the image, for me. Regarding the sky, the brightness does somewhat draw my eyes up out of the frame. Maybe trying a slight gradient (darkest at the top) would be worth your while. Really nice image!

Laura, I love this gray whale series! Wonderful job with the images. The patterns in the water are fascinating. I am torn on including the sky. Perhaps a bit less sky would help focus the eye on the bottom of the image with the main subject. You could also try just isolating the water to emphasize the whale patterns. I think you have a great foundation to build on here so keep up the good work.

1 Like

This is just insanely cool, Laura. Wow.

I love this image! Nice work! Even though I know its water / waves I do see the resemblance of something else, so yes, I think it does work as an abstract… it would do so even more if you had far less sky or none at all, so give that a shot?

Hi @Cameron_Wilcox I have been leaning to no change for the last 2 years, so it’s good to have a vote that way. Many thanks for the feedback.

Many thanks for your appreciation @Marylynne_Diggs. I’m glad to know that you like the waves with the reflections of the sun as well; I really like those too! I remember attempting to crop some of the sky when I first developed the image but couldn’t get anywhere. But I will sit down and try again. Hopefully I’ll find a solution this time around. As a last resort, I am thinking in the direction of a triptych or something of the sort.

Many thanks for your kind words and suggestion @Rob_Darby. I see what you mean. I will try to do that and post the result in the next few days.

Love this image Laura! I have a similar series but with lots of colour from a sunset. I like the desaturated look you got with your processing. I agree with the others that the bright plain sky is a bit distracting, but I don’t think I would want to crop it any more since it would feel to narrow. Enjoying your series.

Hi @Alfredo_Mora Many thanks for your comment, I totally understand where you are coming from. The first thing I tried to do was to isolate the water but, to me, the image instantly loses its appeal. Plus I do not have enough image resolution to do this. Shooting with the A7R4 may be the solution, but it is incredibly difficult to get this sort of patterns. Hours upon hours upon days in the water, mostly NOT getting anything is a hard job. Reducing the sky is also problematic. But I’m going to return to the cropping with a fresh head after having left the image aside for a long while and see if I can come up something that “works” - of whatever kind it may be.

Many thanks, @David_Bostock, good to hear that the image works for you as it is. I’m still looking for a solution to the “sky” problem, but it’s proven an incredibly difficult job so far.

Many thanks for your feedback @Matt_Payne. As in my response to Alfredo Mora, I have tried to do the things you suggest but couldn’t get anywhere. Will try again, though and post the result - if any. Having left the image to rest for a long time may unblock the way, but I’m not too hopeful. I feel the solution will come from a totally unexpected direction. Only hope I’ll still be alive by then, because it could take a very long time! :wink:

1 Like

Hi @AndreDonawa, many thanks for your appreciation. How interesting, I’d love to see your images. Yes, very difficult to crop the sky. Impossible, really. Will have to explore another avenue. Very tricky.

Have posted a rework - quick job, just exploring directions. Possibly need to dodge and burn to add depth, but am not sure how to go about it. Something to think about though… Not sure I need to notify/tag people? Thanks.