Great Blue catches sunfish

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Seen recently at a local park wetland.

Specific Feedback

I was wondering about doing some water clean up but decided to keep it as it is to show the actual surroundings (plus that would be a lot of clean up!).

Technical Details

Canon 90D, Sigma 160-600mm Contemporary
ISO 1600, f7.1, 1/1250s, hand held

Both are wonderful with great detail and the perfect moment caught! The stuff on the mid-distance water is natural and not a distraction, but the OOF areas on the FG water are more distracting, for me, anyway. They might be easy to clean up, at least partially, or darken a bit with some 50% opacity cloning from the cleaner water areas nearby.

It was certainly nice of the heron to pose the fish so perfectly in the first image. I’d be quite happy with either image, but I’d go with the second one for the action and to my eye there’s better contrast between the heron and the water and the heron seems to pop a bit more.

These are both nice photos and it’s always fun to catch the bird with a fish. And great positions for the fish in both. My only change would be in the crop. I don’t feel that the reflections really add to the story so I’d prefer a bit more room above and to ditch most of the reflection. The second photo especially seems a little close at the top. But many will disagree. Reflections really are a personal preference. They are such great storytelling shots!

The tighter crop of the second definitely gives the heron more presence in the frame, but I agree with @Terri_Barnett that it’s a bit tight on top.