Great Blue Heron Face On

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any thing that you might see to improve.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Do you like the composition? I cropped out some of the tree to the left, but liked the shape, and needed some of the tree for the limbs to e connected to, I thought. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Any pertinent technical details:

I took this with my Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 100-400 mm L lens at 400 mm, f9, 1/800, ISO 200, handheld.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Shirley
I agree with you, that some of the tree was needed to connect the lower limb, but it would have nice to loose the upper left limb. My eye keeps going to it.
Peter

Thank you, Peter. I edited it to clone out a part of a limb, and cropped vertical. What do you think? I just love the face of of this guy, otherwise, I would just go with another shot.

Shirley, you’ve done a nice job hand holding for this juvenile. That’s a good repost with the crop, seems to have retained decent detail.

Thank you, Bill. I thought it might be a juvenile, but wasn’t positive. Appreciate your feedback too.

Hi Shirley,

The cropped version looks pretty good. Difficult lighting, but you handled very well…Jim

I like the crop on the re-post. I like the staring pose and with the wing resting under the chin, it appears to be contemplating something.

I also prefer the vertical crop. It is a lot less distracting with that log out of the way. Nice job on the detail.

Hi Shirley. Add another vote for the vertical crop. It’s a minor point, but the bit of sunlight on the bottom of the limb right where your copyright starts is pulling my eye. Excellent detail and a cool pose.

1 Like

Thank you all for you wonderful advice. It did make for a much better shot. I have had company all week, so have been offline, and so just now getting on here to thank you all.