Great Blue Face On

I shot this at the Chincoteague NWR in Virginia last year. I just love face on shots of birds, especially the Great Blue. He was giving me the look.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II, 100-400 mm L lens at 400 mm. Settings f9, 1/800, ISO 200.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

That’s a really cool angle, Shirley. Normally, it would come across as rather steep, but with the heron staring right down its beak at you, it changes the whole dynamic. It makes me feel like a vole about to get grabbed. I could see this printed very large and mounted high on a wall so the viewer has to look up at it at the appropriate angle.

Thank you, Dennis, that is very kind of you. Many times they are down at eye level, or I have to get down to theirs, but sometimes they like to be up in trees.

Hi Shirley, I agree with Dennis about the angle. I think this would work a lot better for me if it’s a tight image around the head. I really love the stare but the perch is somewhat taking away from that. It is a beautiful bird though!

1 Like

Excellent detail and light. With the direct eye contact, I want to be closer. So here is my crop. One could also increase the exposure on the right eye and or face. With apologies…

No apologies needed, David. I like it. Adhika had mentioned it as well that a tighter crop would be better. I appreciate you taking the time.

I like both your original version and the reposted crop Shirley. Cool head on pose and dramatic lighting.

1 Like