Great Blue

I shot this up in Assateague, VA at the Chincoteague NWR a couple of years ago. My computer crashed last week, so been uploading some of the old photos to the new computer, and found this collection. I like this shot a lot because I just love face on shots of birds.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I realize that the beak is a bit out of focus, but I still like the face on. Wish I had the f-stop at 8 maybe.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything you might can show me to help improve the shot.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 5D II, 100-400 mm L lens at 400 mm, handheld. Settings f5.6, 1/500, ISO 500.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hello, Shirley. The beak doesn’t disturb me, as long as the head is sharp at the eyes. With f8 probably you’d have had the ‘problem’ of the BG getting sharper as well, and the bird standing out less against it. Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Hi Shirley, The straight on view works for me as well and am glad that the eyes are sharp. The branch acts as nice framing for the bird and the scene gives an overall sense of the environment.

1 Like