Got Something to Say + Repost

Back in November I had the opportunity to go with a friend to photograph at Chincoteague NWR. This Great Blue had been down in the water and flew up into the tree not long before we walked along this creek and spotted him. I love how he had his beak open at the moment like he was giving us the what-for. He stayed right there and let us take all the photos we wanted, so obviously we weren’t disturbing him. I also like how the limb above him mimics the GB’s head and open beak.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Is the BG out of focus enough? Should the image be cropped in even more?

Technical Details

Canon R5, Sigma EF 150-600mm lens, HH, settings manual except auto ISO. 1/3200, f6.3, ISO 1250. Edited in LR with just a tiny crop to remove a bit of the BG distractions.

I worked on the color as Peter suggested. It is hard to remember what I really saw back in November. I hope to get back to this NWR next month and have a few hours shooting whatever poses for us that day.

I appreciate all that view and comment. Thank you @peter for your help.

3 Likes

Hi Shirley
I liked the framing and expression on this blue, but I think the color balance need to be readjusted and I lowered the whites and added some vibrance.
Peter

Hi Shirley, I really like your Heron shot here. Great catch. I like the warmer color balance here too. Well done.

Oh, and not sure why I missed this back on Feb 9th…not sure why it did not show up on my queue…

Thank you @peter and @David_Bostock for your kind comments. I think the color adjustment Peter made makes the GB stand out more. I kept feeling like he was blending with the BG too much, and it was probably the colors, although I do prefer the warmer color and to the best I remember is closer to how I remember it. Now I’m torn because it does seem like he is much more noticeable. Thank you both.

Hi Shirley
The file I down loaded ways a jpeg and that limited the amount of color correction I could do. I would have liked to worm up the shot some more, but adjusting a jpeg is a lot like using a hammer and chisel.
Peter

Peter, thank you. I haven’t had a chance to try editing it and seeing what I can do with the RAW file. I appreciate what you did though.

Great capture, Shirley! That is so interesting how the branch above does mimic the bird’s posture! He must have felt comfortable with you. Herons seem to be so wary all the time and fly away easily. I’m glad you got to get out and photograph!

1 Like

Hi Shirley
The second posting looks better then the one I posted, goo work.
Peter

| Shirley Freeman Macro Moderator
February 9 |

• | - |

Back in November I had the opportunity to go with a friend to photograph at Chincoteague NWR. This Great Blue had been down in the water and flew up into the tree not long before we walked along this creek and spotted him. I love how he had his beak open at the moment like he was giving us the what-for. He stayed right there and let us take all the photos we wanted, so obviously we weren’t disturbing him. I also like how the limb above him mimics the GB’s head and open beak.

Type of Critique Requested- Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Is the BG out of focus enough? Should the image be cropped in even more?

Technical Details

Canon R5, Sigma EF 150-600mm lens, HH, settings manual except auto ISO. 1/3200, f6.3, ISO 1250. Edited in LR with just a tiny crop to remove a bit of the BG distractions.

I worked on the color as Peter suggested. It is hard to remember what I really saw back in November. I hope to get back to this NWR next month and have a few hours shooting whatever poses for us that day.

I appreciate all that view and comment. Thank you @peter for your help.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

Awesome image! :slight_smile:

I really like the pose and where it’s at in the tree, and the backwards “S” shape in the neck sets it above many others I’ve seen.
I like the look of the feathers too, it looks like it went diving for dinner recently (or maybe it was just time for a bath). :slight_smile:

The amount of environment you included is spot on IMHO.
Focus and DOF are great and the color adjustment on the second one seems to be very accurate (judging from the color of the feathers).

I have been considering a trip to Wadesboro, NC where the Pee Dee NWR is located, I’ve never been there so I hope it’s a nice place.

I’ve never been to the Chincoteague NWR either, I’ve been north of there on a fishing trip but maybe when I have time for farther trip, I’ll give it a try.

Thanks, Shirley! You’re inspiring me to go try my hand at a few avian images :slight_smile: I’m probably going to need to count on luck being on my side though.

Merv, thank you for your kind comments and for viewing my image.

I went to the PeeDee NWR a few years ago, and saw absolutely nothing to point the camera at until we were leaving, I saw one hawk and he was flying so we didn’t get a decent shot of him. I would recommend instead of PeeDee, and you can, to go to Huntington Beach State Park, Murrells Inlet, SC. It has always had lots of various avian, as well as alligators, etc. When you cross over the bridge just pull into to parking lot and walk back to the bridge area and you will enjoy lots of subjects. You can also go left just off the bridge and on the left a ways down there is a parking area and you can walk out on a walkway over the marsh. Both places are good. I think out of state was maybe $5 or $6, not much. They have a camp area too.

I do hope that you get to go to Chincoteague. The NWR is actually on Assateague, but they call it Chincoteague NWR because you have to go through Chincoteague to get to it. They have some hotels along the road before you get to the park. If you have a pass for National Parks, that will get you in without charge.

I hope you get to go to both. I think you would enjoy. But PeeDee was a total disappointment and I wanted to let you know that.

I really appreciate that information!

I sure don’t want to waste time and effort on an area that will only disappoint, so a huge thank you for the warning about Pee Dee.

We will try the Huntington Beach State Park at Murrells Inlet, it’s really not that much farther and the camping sounds great as well. I have a Nissan high top van outfitted specifically for camping and long distance trips.

We’ll try to go during the middle of spring so temperatures will be good (hopefully) :slight_smile:

I can’t thank you enough for the advice, Shirley! :slight_smile:

1 Like