Great Blue Framed + Edit

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had the privilege to visit the Chincoteague NWR (my favorite place to go) while up in Virginia at our camper. I’m so thankful for the opportunity to meet up with my photographer friend, Donna on the occasions that we can, which isn’t too often, but I thoroughly enjoy when we can get together and shoot here. The birds vary each time we get there it seems. We only get to stay for an hour or so as my husband waits in the car. I don’t want to over do that.

Specific Feedback

I liked the way the tree framed him. His look too. I also like the green of the pine needles in front of him. I cropped some of the oof ones at the bottom. Does it look okay? Enough. I was seeing it in thirds, bottom third green, middle third framing him in, and the limb and top portion being the top third. Does that work for you? Anything elso?

Technical Details

Canon R5, Sigma 150-600mm at 435mm HH at f6.3, 1/3200, ISO 1000 (auto) everything else manual mode. Edited in LR with minor adjustments and a little crop to help the composition I was looking to have.

Updated

I dodged the top limb as suggested by @Mark_Seaver and rather than trying healing on the little limb to the left of the right tree trunk as @Dennis_Plank suggested (I’m not that good had healing), I used a radial filter and darken and pulled the contrast back a bit. How does that look? I also noticed a bright spot up in the top right so cropped down slightly to get rid of that. Also darkened the little limb to the left of the GB which I noticed to be bit of a distraction. Seems after I make an image public I can see some of the things I should have done before. :grinning: Thank you for your help. Oh, @Allen_Brooks I liked having the top limb to help frame him, so I hope the dodging of it helps lesson the “heavy” look.

I like the framing as well, Shirley. Excellent detail and exposure in the heron. I don’t mind the brightness of the large trunk on the right,but the smaller one to the left of it does draw my eye from the heron. I think it would be difficult to get rid of it, but you might be able to if you do it one section at a time with the healing brush, leaving the area behind the pine needles until last-at least I’ve had some luck using that technique.

The heron and the pine needles work well and makes for a very nice composition. Nice color and feather detail. The large branch over the heron seems too “heavy” and tends to draw my eye. I wonder how a more panoramic crop would work to eliminate some of the branch, and maybe darken the tree on the right.

Shirley, I like the framing, especially the pine needles along the bottom and the lighting on the bird. Overall, it’s a good look at this heron in its habitat. The branch at the top doesn’t bother me, but if you wanted to give it a bit less weight, you could dodge it a bit.

There is something so great about a GBH in a tree. I don’t think any of mine have seen the light of day, so brava getting this one done with such excellence. The framing works for me and if you wanted to stop with the dodging & burning, you could, but that smaller branch on the right is ok for pruning if you wanted to go into Ps to play with Gen Fill or similar tools. I know it’s not your forte, but this image might be worth trying it out. I like the amount of pine boughs in front - it gives it an airy, layered look that definitely makes me feel it’s kind of high up. Super! It snowed today so ours are either long gone or panicking and heading out.

1 Like

I like the repost a lot, Shirley. Your tweaks made a big difference. Now the branches all support the image instead of trying to steal center stage.

1 Like

Excellent focus on the bird, with great detail! The unusual habitat is attention-getting, and the editing changes good.

1 Like

Hi Shirley, nice framing showing a rather unique habitat for this species. Good selective focus on the bird. Nice job on the repost too.