Great Blue wing dip

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Seen yesterday at the neighborhood lake boat dock.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 1600, f6.3, 1/2000s, hand held

Processed in DOX Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

1 Like

Very nice, Allen. It’s always cool to catch a wingtip in the water and I like the angle it’s flying at. To me it looks like the heron has picked up just a hint of a green color cast.

Really nice, difficult, head-on shot, Allen. As @Dennis_Plank noted, the wingtip on the water adds a lot of visual interest. I’m not sure about the green color cast. On my screen, it appears to be okay. Well done. Was it tough tracking him coming toward you, handholding that 400?

Hi Terry, thanks for the comment. I didn’t find this bird too tough to track - actually easier hand held I think and GBH are big and pretty slow. The Green Herons are a much different story - small and fast!

1 Like

Fantastic catch!! There is a slight color cast in the darker tones. I looked at the channels in Curves and pulled the LL corner a little to the right for the green channel, to give more neutral darks. That boosted contrast a little but may have made the shadows in the water too dark – I like their soft greens – so maybe mask it to the bird.

Terrific flight shot with superb wing position. Nice frame