Great Egret Courting Display + Edit

edit:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Great Egret in full breeding colours
Wakodahatchee Wetlands, Boca Raton, Florida
My parents lived in Florida for the last 20 years, and I was fortunate to spend time there every spring and fall. We still go back most springs, to escape the Oregon coastal winters. The birds are far fewer in the last 5 years, but still spectacular.

Specific Feedback

Are the darker areas distracting?

Technical Details

Sony A-1
200-600 @310
Exposure Time: 1/2500 sec
F Number: f/16
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 500
Manual
Metering Mode: Spot

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Beautiful display pose in a perfect setting, Sandy. The few rookeries I’ve been to took lots of cleanup on the leaves to make them look good. The dark areas in the background work for me as they are a bit symmetrical and are sufficiently blurred that they don’t attract attention. I don’t know what you might have done in the egret processing, but I think you might be able to get away with a bit more light on the head and not have it look contrived.

Thanks, Dennis - very little processing here - a small crop, a few bright twigs removed, the usual sharpening.
Thankfully, in Florida, it rains enough to keep the leaves pretty clean and green. I was really happy with the light and view -as you said, the birds are usually deeper into the foliage, and rarely with the sky behind.
I didn’t do anything with the bird, but - looking at it again now - I agree that a bit of brightening of the head would be good.

Wow. I love the display and the colorful eye Sandy. The BG is fine and actually helps accentuate the bird. I really like what you’ve done with the edit, but would suggest that you put it in front of the original so that it will show up as the thumbnail in the feed.

Wow - it’s easy to become a fan of this bird. What a spray of feathers that along with the circularish sky creates a wonderful composition. Great detail in the feathers. As I look at both images, I like second one best for the brightness on the bird’s head and bright green over the eye. The gold eye and beak look great with the lime green. Looks like you found something great to do in Florida.

The extra light worked very well, Sandy.

Thanks, Ed - done.

What a captivating display of the Great Egret in its breeding plumage! The delicate and radiant feathers stand out beautifully against the lush green foliage and the deep blue sky.

The visual balance is impressive, with the egret perfectly framed by the surrounding leaves, creating a sense of intimacy while highlighting its elegant form. The natural lighting accentuates the fine details of its plumage, adding a lifelike quality to the image. This image really conveys a sense of grace and purity, capturing the essence of the bird’s majestic beauty.

Nice shot Sandy! :clap:

Hi Sandy, really nice catch of this display. Love that strong green near the beak. The added light in the rework is a nice improvement IMO. The surrounding compliment the bird. Well done.

This is a very nice image and the RP is a nice improvement, but I’m curious why it is represented as being shot with a Sony A1, with specific settings given, when the file info shows it was shot with a D800 in 2013.

Very cool butt burst of feathers, and I really like the depiction of its environment with BG bokeh. If this were mine, I’d think about hanging it on my wall…

Diane, I must have 2500 images of courting egrets by now. I was re-working this one for a publisher, and I guess I pulled up the exif info from the adjacent file , from last year, a very similar image.

Dave - It (or a previous iteration) are on several walls. :slight_smile:
Thanks for your kind comments , as well as those from Dennis, Ed, Larry, Don, Allen, and Diane.