Great Egret in flight

We saw a number of great egrets on the cypress swamp tour last weekend so I thought I’d share the ones I took in flight in a single post.

ISO 1000, f6.3, 1/1250s

ISO 1000, f6.3, 1/1600s

ISO 1000, f6.3, 1/1600s

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C, hand held from boat

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

Over the years I’ve been taking bird photos, I probably have at least one good photo of each species on my list and recently I’ve been trying to capture more of the scene the bird is in when I can. For this reason, I really like the second one with the red leaves, water and the cypress-a great setting for the egret to fly through. Well captured and the detail is good in all three. My second favorite is the third one with the wings just skimming the water and the reeds in the background.

Well, I’m to be little contrary from Allen here. I like the first one because of the angle of the bird and the simplicity of the image. Perfect exposure on the white plumage on the first image. The other images aren’t bad either. I think your horizons on both the second and third image are a little off and both could use Tad of counterclockwise rotation. The second images my second favorite because of the environment.

All three are very nice with lots of detail in the whites. They each show a different setting which is neat. Picking one I would opt for number 2 because of the bg. showing off that huge tree. Very well done and a productive trip. Right or wrong I use reflections to square up water shots and it seems to work out.

Excellent Allen. I think the first is my favorite, largely because I have a tendency to prefer birds with an upward inclination, but all the images are excellent. The background in the second is awesome.