Great Falls on the Potomac

Here’s a look at the top step on the Maryland side of Great Falls. This is the part where most of the kayakers who have an annual “run Great Falls” event come through, shooting in on the big spout (roughly 20 ft drop) near the upper right. (7D2, 100-400 @ 100, 0.4 s, f/13, iso 100, ND filter, tripod, cable release and mirror lock up)

Very very enjoyable and I actually feel like I am a kayaker here. I might want just a tiny bit more room at the bottom but it works as presented. B&W is a great choice, Mark.

The larger view of this image really makes it come to life. B&W was probably a great choice because of lack of color with just the rocks and water.

Very nice composition and B&W works really well with this image. Nicely seen.

I love the in-your-face perspective of this, definitely a kayaker’s point of view image (a kayak that got turned around however). B&W significantly adds to the drama factor here. My only nit is that I would wish for a slightly faster shutter speed and more definition in the water. It looks like the water flow was very high here, which may have made shutter speed / exposure in the rocks a big trade-off.