Middle Chute, Great Falls

This is the first step in what’s called the middle chute of Great Falls on the Potomac, with some ice after a hard freeze. (7D2, 100-400 @ 271, 1/4 s, f/18, iso 100, 4 stop ND filter, polarizer, tripod, mirror lock-up, 2 s shutter delay)

2 Likes

Really nice composition, Mark. Shutter speed looks good too. Only nit is the rock in the lower left corner…kinda pulls my eye. Well done.

Mark,
The large version is particularly nice as it shows off the power of the rushing water of the Potomac beautifully. My only suggestion would be the same as @David_Bostock about the rock in the LLC as it does block the water flow a little. Easy fix with the healing brush or clone. I particularly like the ice caps on those couple of rocks. I have to get back down to Great Falls one of these days. Beautifully done!

I love the creamy look to the water in this image. The ice adds much to the image and the rock in the lrc is particularly interesting. There is a very thin line of whitewater at the very top that I might crop or clone out.

Mark , the use of the ND filter created a a luscious look in the water flow, and the colors and texture in the water look great. I think the composition is also very well balanced. My only suggested tweak would be to add some edge darkening along the two sides and the bottom, to help focus attention on the center falls.