Waters meeting

There are two entrances to the “Maryland chute” of Great Falls on the Potomac. Those waters meet here below a small island and generate lots of spray. I enjoy chasing the rainbow that appears in that mist. Here are two views, one with very little solid ground and the second where I intentionally include the rocks on the east side for motion contrast. (7D2, 100-400, 1/10 s, f/18, iso 100, tripod, polarizer and 4 stop ND filter)

400 mm, full motion

321 mm, rock edge

There is a rock that’s just barely covered in the midst of the turbulence. The water entrance on the right is about 20 feet high.

2 Likes

The first one works for me, Mark. Nice catch with some rainbow effects going on too.

Like David the first one works best for me, Mark. A very powerful and gorgeous scene… :sunglasses:

Both show the amazing power of the water, Mark, but I must agree, I prefer the first one. The rock on the right side of the second one doesn’t add much, at least for me. Keep chasing those rainbows, they are gorgeous.

First one for me, too. I might even play with a crop down to eliminate the dark area center top. Rainbow and roiling water look great.

Hi Mark,
I love the motion in the foreground water.
I played around with just pulling a little bit of yellow out by shifting the white balance around/desaturating a little with various radial gradients. It just gives it a little bit different look.
It’s fun capturing these little small scenes like this. :slight_smile:

Wow Mark. That’s an intimate of a scene a long way away. I much prefer the 400mm first capture. I like your choice of shutter speed but would like to see something at around 1/5 or 1/2 a second for comparison. I wonder if it would look for frothy with a slightly softer look to the white, foamy water being churned up. In any event, a nice rainbow capture for sure. Looks like sherbet Ice Cream with all the pastels! :slight_smile:

Another vote for the first one Mark. The first image has a nice abstract feeling to it, which I prefer. The second image with the rock tells a better story about sense of place, but I prefer the simpler look of the first image.

First one all the way for me Mark - lovely shades with a natural color balance