Hard, Fast and Misty 1&2

238 mm

300 mm

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Two more views from the high water event at Great Falls on the Potomac last week. These two photos show where the river starts it’s series of drops and rapids as seen from the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historic Park (Maryland side). Besides some abstract views showing only the raging water and mistbows, I was struck by the contrasts between the land, rocks and river.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500, 1/10 s, f/20, iso 100, tripod, polarizer and 2 stop (0.6) ND filter. I tried an 3.0ND filter, but the colors were totally wrong, which wasn’t true with my non-R series Canon cameras.

1 Like

The first image is nice for the context, but the second puts me right down in there. Shutter speed is perfect for me.

1 Like

I agree with @Ronald_Murphy.

Amazing contrast of colors in there Mark. To help the rainbow stand out, I could see dropping the saturations of the orange/yellow tones in the rest of the image.

Hi Mark, the second one really works for me. Great light and tones in the colors. Nice abstract moving water shot that shows the tremendous force of rushing water.

@John_Williams, your suggestion is a good one, especially since it tones the muddy water down to look more like muddy water.

1 Like