Mistbows at Great Falls #1

With bright sun after a couple of rain events, I went to Great Falls on the Potomac to check out the mistbows. This one is looking at the biggest drop in what the kayaker’s call the middle passage. From afar, I’m guessing that this is a 20+ foot drop. (5D3, 100-400 @ 360, 1/4 s, f/10, iso 100, 4 stop ND, polarizer, tripod and cable release)

2 Likes

Beautiful rainbow of color in the falls and nice look at the falls, too. I might try burning the higher tones in the rock LRC to kind of vignette it, but not a biggie. No other suggestions.

Harley, I actually dodged that rock slightly because I wanted to emphasize the contrast between the immobile stone and the moving water. :grinning:

Goes to show that great minds don’t think alike! :joy: !

This is a lovely intimate landscape from Great Falls, Mark. I seem to remember you posting several images of mistbows over the years from that area. It has been several years since I last visited the area and this makes me want to go back sometime. Obviously the mistbow is the star of the show, but I am really enjoying the details in the water in the large version. I also think the jagged edges of the rock are a great counterpoint to the rushing torrent of water. No suggestions from me.

Well, that mist-bow is pretty cool. This image has a lot of energy and vitality. I like how the shapes of the rocks in the LRC sort of mimic the diagonal shapes in the waterfall itself. I also prefer not burning down the rock in the LRC, for the reason you stated Mark. But I could see some slight burning along the left and top edges to accentuate the mist-bow. This is a very dynamic image Mark, nicely done.

Just awesome Mark as the others have already said. Beautifully seen and executed.