Great Falls, Potomac, top step

Going to visit Great Falls on the Potomac at times when a rainbow will show up in the mist is something that I do regularly. This view of the top step on the Maryland side is from last Fall when the water level was low enough so that the mistbow was quite mild. In fact as I look at this the mistbow seems to show best in the smaller view. I did use a 4 stop ND filter to get moderate smoothing of the water. From hard experience, I know that with this combination of magnification (len + camera) and shutter speed, mirror lock up is necessary. (7D2, 100-400 @ 248, 1/8 s, f/16, iso 100, tripod, cable release and mirror lock-up)

2 Likes

Excellent water colors here. Well composed. Super job on the exposure.

Outstanding, Mark. Your repeated visits and experience clearly show in this image. Nicely done.

Beautiful image, Mark! Love how you zoomed in on the falls and with the slow SS.

Boy, talk about visual cues! My eye is powerfully led to the center of the image because of the two waterfalls. Powerful!
I assume mirror lockup is to prevent blur from camera shake?

An absolutely stunning capture, Mark. As @Mark_Muller noted, my eye is led directly to the convergence of the two falls in the center of the frame. Excellent composition, exposure, and visual effect. Bravo!

Mark, at shutter speeds between about 1 s and 1/2 to 1/3 s, the slap of the shutter and any shake is a similar in length to the shutter opening. At shorter shutters, most of the slap gets ignored and at longer shutters, the slap (and motion) is a minimal part of the time, so it has little effect on the sharpness.