Great Salt Lake

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I probably have a lot of assembled panos I can’t find, but I found 2 that I’ll toss out today and tomorrow. This is rather boring and basically just proves I was doing panos back in 2005.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 5.22.30 PM

Canon 20D, 5 frames with a lot of overlap. The original pano had been done back then, and had 2 obvious discontinuities, but the original frames where there so I redid it in today’s LR and got a perfect stitch – at least as far as I can see. Some minimal LR adjustments with the current process and minor retouching in PS.

I think this is a wonderful pano, Diane. The length of it is insane, but it fits so well with the composition. It could stretch half way across a wall. It looks a little flat to me. Nothing that a good ole S curve couldn’t fix, but I would leave the blue sky as is. I feel that the long grey line in the cloud near the top R corner could be taken out and maybe the small round one below it. They pull my eye a little. This is certainly an image worth keeping. It just needs a little tender loving care :wink: .

HAH!! Thanks, Donna! I hadn’t even seen those two distractions. And they are SO MUCH what I would see and comment on in someone else’s images. Visualize them as gone!

The contrast is flat here – hazy light and an old camera with limited dynamic range or other issues. I’ll have a look at tweaks. Not a very serious image.

I don’t see this as boring at all. It’s a simple scene, broad and expansive. What I like most is what seems to me to be mist in the air. Or haze. The effect for me is that it kind of softens everything. It’s really appealing, Diane!