Great Sand Dunes NP

Taken in Great Sand Dunes National Park

Nikon D300 18-200mm lens at 170mm f16 1/4 sec ISO 100

This image was taken late in the day. My goal with image making is to create an artistic interpretation of what I am photographing.

Any feedback is appreciated.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Welcome to NPN, Bob! This looks really good, graceful and beautiful. B&W just works with dune images. Love the lines and range of tones. No suggestions here.

I look forward to seeing more of your work and reading your insights into the work of others.

Hello @bob13

Welcome to NPN. Gorgeous first post.
Love the geometric “pattern” between the two dunes. The B/W and contrast adds a very interesting depth to the image.
Looking forward for more images.
Thanks for sharing,
Cheers

Bob: A terrific image from one of my favorite places on the planet. I’ve not done much B&W with my dune images but it’s shots like this that make me want to get back into it. Wonderful lines and terrific contrast range. Superbly crafted image >=))>

Welcome to NPN, Bob. I like this a lot. The lines and triangles and the tonal range make for a very compelling image.

Bob, welcome to NPN. The strong contrast even as you retain subtle details in both the brights and darks makes a compelling picture.

Really breathtaking. Can you share a bit about how you treated the image to get those very dark eyebrows of the dunes?

Dick,

Here’s the unprocessed RAW capture for this image. I didn’t do much processing. The “dark eyebrows” on the edges of the dunes seem to be shadows from this morning image.

bob