Greater Roadrunner, Palo Duro Canyon SP

I camped several nights in Palo Duro Canyon State Park (Texas) and saw lots of Roadrunners. I’ve seen Roadrunners many times but these were more tolerant of my presence than most. This one kept running back and forth across the trail chasing bugs and wasn’t paying any attention to me. I was laying on my backpack to get the low perspective.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Always open to any comments.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I also have a shot of him moving straight across but I liked this one coming slightly toward me because I thought the photo had a sense of depth.

Any pertinent technical details:

400mm, f5.6, 1/2000, ISO 160 the original had him pretty centered in the frame so it’s cropped some on the right and top/bottom.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A nice low angle and I do like the approach angle of the Roadrunner, Terri. Detail in the bird is excellent and it stands out pretty well from the background. Did you by chance get a frame without the shadows behind the head? They are kind of disguising the head a bit. A very nice image.

Thanks Dennis. I agree with you on the background. Maybe that’s a reason to prefer the other image. But I don’t have one with him running at this angle without the shadows.

He certainly pops better in the second image, but I do like the angle in the first. Just an excuse to pay another visit.

1 Like

Both images have their own appeal to me. Great opportunity you had ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

I like the second frame better. The bird being closer and larger and away from the shadows makes it for me. Great IQ and light. Really like the pose as well. All you are missing is a lizard in its mouth!

1 Like

I am really enjoying the large view. Very nice color and detail. I like the pose.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for commenting. :slight_smile: Yes, @Lyle_Gruby, a lizard would have been great. I stayed a while and followed him a bit but he never caught anything - not even a bug.