Subject dist: 11.9m
1/640 sec, f/8
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: -1/3
ISO: 500
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Excellent capture Sandy!

The lighting and detail are spectacular, and detail is key in appreciating this great bird. When I was a kid we had one that roosted in a small tree outside my bedroom window and I got a closeup “light show” from its unique plumage each sunrise.

Dunno if you know it, but they have a unique feature on their backs just above the base of their tail. They can ruffle or lift their feathers to expose a distinct black patch, which they turn to the sun for long periods on cold mornings. Dunno if it’s myth or truth, but the explanation I found was that it’s an adaptation for warming. Somewhere deep in my drawers of unscanned slides I have a shot of it, but darned if I know where.

A nice alert pose with excellent detail, Sandy. Unusual to see one of these standing still.

Sandy, a wonderful posing take on this Roadrunner. It’s as though he wanted a portraiture taken for his personal portfolio…:+1:

These guys are very fierce when dealing with rattlers… :skull_and_crossbones:

Although a mid day take and super bright, I might take some time and bring that down with various approaches just to see how it would fare at a less intense feeling. Just my 2 cents…:thinking:

Hank - Smarty !! :sunglasses: You’re absolutely correct:, and I didn’t know that. I have a pic of that somewhere too, although I thought he was only giving me the equivalent of the “finger”.
" Warming Up. Roadrunners have a black patch of skin on their backs which aborbs the heat from the sun. When they want to warm up in the morning, they fluff up their back feathers and show that black patch to the sun. You can see the roadrunner doing that in the video as it is sitting on our fence."

Video of that behaviour: (first video at the top, near the end)

Excellent detail, I also think you could bring this down a tad for a less harsh light look.

I am fascinated by roadrunners but unfortunately have nary a frame of one :frowning:
I think this is a great catch of an alert pose. Agree with trying a version a little toned down. Nice capture.

Thanks, everyone.
Original darkened a bit and replaced.
Sandy

1 Like

Sandy: this is an excellent capture overall and has great detail. In particular, I like and have never seen before, what I would call a cockscomb on the bird. Richard