Green & Gold

Description:

We had our first real snowstorm here yesterday so I ventured out to a local area of parkland with tripod and new Z5 to explore. I must say I struggled a bit - with snow, very high winds and very cold of course. It’s been a long time since I’ve been out trying to photograph in such severe conditions. As a result I didn’t really walk away with anything I’m very proud of but I do have this one from a more sheltered area that I’d like your opinion of. I liked the subtle colour gradations in the tree set against the bright green, snow covered holly bush.

Specific Feedback Requested:

I intentionally overexposed the frame then pulled back on the highlights in PP but actually lightened the shadows even more - I felt this revealed the water and trees in the background more effectively. Did I go too far? Is the result unnaturally bright

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No
Nikon Z5, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 lens at 34 mm, ISO 100, 1/2sec at f11

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Bill, especially I like the colors. Also the composition . However as little nit, I think you could try and take some of the left side off. To my eyes is the image then more in balance . Luckily the snow is staying they say. And the ice will give great photo moments as the whole of holland goes skating. If corona allows. Succes Bill.

What a lovely color palette. The green and gold is beautiful, as is the texture of the heavy snow on the leaves. I agree with Ben on the left side. The area of open water behind the lower branches is the one part of the frame that isn’t filled with a dense texture. You could crop or maybe try a targeted adjustment on the water, to increase the exposure/bring up the shadows (so it’s more in line with the rest of the frame).

Yes Bil that green and gold is wonderful color combination. And the way the snow covers the green leaves creates an interesting pattern and look. This is a great intimate scene, with a nice nature story. I agree with @Ben_van_der_Sande , I would crop the left, removing about half the distance from the edge to the tree. As Ben said, I think it balances the comp better, and it would remove some bright areas there too. I think this would retain enough of the water to accomplish what you want.

Thanks to @Ben_van_der_Sande , @Bonnie_Lampley and @Ed_McGuirk for taking the time to look and your suggestions - indeed those dark patches against the bright area on the left were a bit bothersome. Here is a version cropped as suggested and I also added a brightness and clarity adjustment to the remaining water.

2 Likes