Green Robber Fly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

First couple weeks of me shooting macro around the garden. I’m not too picky on what I aim the camera at, but I like bright colorful images and the green foliage, eyes, and greenish metallic sheen caught my eye.

Specific Feedback

Thoughts, opinions, what would make it better editing-wise? I don’t have a ton of experience with macro so any thoughts or better ways to approach the shot would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Single shot Fujuflim X-S10 with Lawoa 65mm macro set at 1:1. Exposure 1/250, ISO 200 with a Godox V860, 1/16th power through Angler 100 diffuser.

Todd, I don’t think I have ever seen a Green Rober Fly before. This is a treat. He does have some neat greenish metallic sheen to him. You captured some really nice details in him, especially in the eyes, however, I think we could see more of the details in the eyes if you were to selectively tone down the highlight in them at least. The leaf seems a bit too green on my monitor, but maybe a toning down of it as well might help the greens. I think the body of the Robber Fly is exposed well, and we don’t want to lose that pretty sheen on him. You might could try a brush on shoulders too, but go less on the amount of toning down the highlights there. I like the BG as it seems to compliment the fly and the leaf. The vertical composition works well for this shot. You might could even allow more room on the sides unless you start losing details in the fly’s eyes. I think you are doing a wonderful job in the macro thus far.

Todd, this is a fine look at this Robber Fly with its green eyes and iridescent wings and body. I agree with Shirley, that some burning-in of the highlights would let more detail show and that the leaf seems overly green.

Thanks, Shirley!
You were right. I took more time with masks around the eyes, shoulder, and lower thorax below the wings, bringing out more detail. I did tone down the green a little bit. I know green greens aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but I like them better than yellow greens. I guess it is the way I see things in my mind.

I think that helped Todd. The details in the eye is showing up much better.

Wonderful catch with great detail and color! If you like, you can post the revised version in the original post, at the top, where it will get more attention and so people can click back and forth the really appreciate the enhancements. Just click the pencil icon in the lower right to edit any post.

1 Like

This looks like a long-legged fly (Dolichopodidae) and with highlights controlled, your revised image looks good…Jim