Robber Fly - Dioctria hyalipennis (I think)

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7D Mark II w/ 100 mm Canon macro. 1/250 sec , f/2.8, ISO 400, hand held

1 Like

Very impressive, Marc. I like the minimalist appearance, by using f2.8, which draws the eye right to the subject. Sharp where needed, and the rest out of focus. The lighting appears to only be on the subject with this method as well. Excellent shot.

1 Like

A very nice image! The fly is detailed enough to be very interesting, but what I really love is the dreamy softness of the perch and the BG. If this is a crop I’d love to have a bit more canvas on the right so that curve doesn’t end right at the edge. I’d do what I could do minimize or partially crop the triangle in the LL. Trying to put the fly at a point of thirds leaves too much visual mass on the right for my taste. I wouldn’t center it but this is the sort of shot where “somewhat off center” works for me.

2 Likes

This is a beautiful image, Marc! I really love the soft background contrasting with the very sharp details of the fly, it really makes the fly stand out! Beautifully captured!

1 Like

Wonderful. A very simple image that tells a story of a top predator looking down on its domain. I like the perch and how you were able to get a partial silhouette against the bg highlight. Pretty impressive focus handheld at f/2.8 also. Even firing off a burst it is a very small target.

1 Like

Nicely done, Marc. OOF background sets the fly off very nicely.

1 Like

Marc: Very artistically presented and a very fine result. The softness kind of disguises the fierceness of these guys. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like