Robberfly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw a robberfly this past week. First one I’ve seen this year. Such cool bugs.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 300mm f4 L IS, 1.4x extender II, monopod
ISO 640, f16, 1/200s

1 Like

Wonderful details in this robber fly, Allen They haven’t let me get that close to them, so I probably need a long lens when trying to photograph them. I see you had a 300mm with 1.4 extender on. I like the way he is perched on the limb. I wonder if you darkened/desaturated the lighter green BG if it would improve the image. Just a thought. It is an excellent shot as presented.

Outstanding macro of the “Robber”! :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’ve never been a fan of flies with the exception of hoverflies and maybe a mayfly but mayflies aren’t exactly flies as I understand it, maybe you or someone else can enlighten me on that one.

Robber flies are a bit more attractive than the typical fly though (if a fly can actually be attractive, but I suppose beauty really is in the eye of the beholder as they say).

I can comment on the image overall as well as the composition and I must say that this one was very well done!! :slight_smile:
Everything just works IMHO.

Robber flies can be so entertaining though and this one looks kind of like it wants to play. Ok, so not really, but it does look like an engaging insect. I like the perch and that vivid background. I have a shot or two of them, but none this good. Details are nice and I especially like all the hooked feet on display.

This is a really nice image with plenty of crisp details in focus. Robber flies has such a personality - like the ZZ top of the fly world. I’ve been chasing a few of these, but for some reason, they don’t show up unless I have left the long lenses at home so end up with small flies :rofl:

Really good capture and the background is very nice, but I wonder if a bit more subdued greens would work even better. At least on my monitor (well calibrated, but who knows when it comes to web images and color) the green is very intense compared to the fly and steals a bit of attention.

Hi Allen, I’m new to NPN and still have lots to learn but I have to say I love the detail in this image! I personally like the bright green background, I think it complements the color tones of the fly very well. I too like the hooked feet and really like how much you got in focus using f16.

Wonderful detail and pose of this bizarre-looking thing.