Robber Fly

Seen today in our garden.

Canon 7D2, Sigma 150mm macro, 1.4x TC, Yongnuo macro twin flash
ISO 400, f32, 1/250s, hand held

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very nice, Allen. It took me a second to notice that he had a meal going on as well. I was into all the details in his eyes, and body, and just didn’t notice the prey. I looked up the twin flash you have, and it is different from what I use, but looks like you are managing shadows very well. I wish you the best with it.

Thanks Shirley. I went with a more basic and cheaper twin flash to start off with. We’ll see if I get the results that I hope for.
I was kind of surprised how shallow the depth of field was even at f32 - really have to nail the area of critical focus you want.

1 Like

Allen, these flies are always interesting to see. The details in the head and body are outstanding. This view shows the fly at life size, so tiny dof is expected. There are lots of online depth-of-field calculators, if you’re interested. I’m always astonished at what the numbers say when working near 1:1 magnification.

Always cool seeing these.
The multi shot, stepped focus, image stacking process is how people are getting amazing DOF with insect images I’ve seen lately. It’s a indoor table top set up. They put the bug in a freezer to “calm” them first, then race to get the shots before the bug warms up and moves. It can be 100+ shots LOL
Nice image thanks