Grenadier Range at Sunset

What technical feedback would you like if any? I’ll take anything but I’m pretty happy with this one right now. =)

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Same as above.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Single exposure, f/5.6, 55mm, Sony A7R4, Sony 55 1.8 lens, 1/10s, ISO 100.

Last weekend, I took a backpacking trip with my 12-year-old son deep into the Weminuche Wilderness Area near Durango and Silverton, Colorado. At the top of my list was to try to photograph the Grenadier Range at sunset from a northern vantage point at 13,000 ft. This particular vantage point in the San Juan Mountains yielded some of the best views of the Grenadiers and Needle Mountains I have ever seen. From left to right, you can see Middle Trinity, West Trinity, Windom Peak, Sunlight Peak, Vestal Peak, Eolus Peak, Arrow Peak, Turret Peak, and Electric Peak. Small tarns on the hillside below reflected the colorful sky above. Getting views of Colorado 14ers and 13ers like this is what I live for! Of particular note, at center, the impressive stature of Vestal Peak’s Wham Ridge rises high and continues to blow my mind every time I see it. Even though this image was made on the first day of summer, lots of snow was still present, which I personally love!

1 Like

Amazing Matt. I used to live in Colorado and every time we would drive by one (only climb 3 myself) it was for me, very humbling. Just climbing in those mountains is such an awe inspiring experience. Great memories. Definitely wallpaper.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, these mountains are the best, period. =)

1 Like

A lovely image, Matt. Certainly the sort of thing I see used for a wallpaper.

1 Like

Oh man! I’ve always wanted to find a good vantage of these beauties, well done my friend!

1 Like

The small version makes for a very striking mountain landscape, Matt but the large version is much nicer as it provides a real sense of presence and much more detail. I like it when you feel as if you’re standing there and taking it all in. The pastel blues and pinks of the clouds is a nice bonus also. Very nice!

1 Like

Matt, this is an outstanding scene. It does such a fine job of pulling you in with the mix of snowfields, small lakes and grasses set against those very rugged peaks. The bits of blue and pink in the sky top things off beautifully.

1 Like

Thank you Dennis, appreciate it =)

Thank you Gary! I was of course hoping for more color in the sky but I was happy with the way it all ended up, sometimes a less “in your face” scene is more pleasing.

Thanks I’m glad the pink and blue work well together!

Thank you Dennis, appreciate it =)

Yeah, hoping to head back into the area today or tomorrow. I guess you could say they are my muse =)

Matt: I envy you the experience and the image. Result well worth the effort. :+1: :+1:>=))>