Glorious Solitude

I had a medical conference in Denver in November 2014 and decided to sandwich it in between a few days at Great Sand Dunes NP, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP and Rocky Mountain NP. On my second night at GSDNP I literally had the park to myself and was treated to the most spectacular sunset display I’ve ever witnessed. This was taken from a vantage point close to the visitor center which had closed for the day. There was one custodian putting out the trash and he seemed oblivious to the show. Perhaps sunsets like this are commonplace in Colorado but for me it always brings back wonderful memories. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A77
Sony DT 16-50 f2.8 SSM @ 28mm
ISO 200, 1/80 @ f8

An awesome sight, Bill. The colors and textures jump off the screen at me. Certainly right place, right time for this spectacular show.

Amazing, Bill. Sounds like once in a life time sunset. Lucky you. Thanks for sharing it with us.

That is one amazing color laden sky, Bill! I can see why it would bring back some wonderful memories. I am enjoying the way the clouds fan out across the sky and the combination of warm and cool tones works beautifully. Glad you were there to witness and share it with the rest of us.

Bill, that’s an amazing expanse of sky, beautifully lit. The hit of peaks at the bottom sets the scene well.

Gorgeous!! The way the clouds fan out is amazing, emphasizing the color shift toward the top. The small bit of horizon is perfect!

Beautiful sky!! Amazing the custodian could ignore this no matter how often it happens. No nits here, looks great.