Solitary Trek

Sony A77
Sony 70-400G @ 400mm, CPL
ISO 100, 1/640 @ f8
I was going to a medical conference in Denver in November 2014 and decided to take a side trip to GSDNP for a few days. It was really cold and I practically had the park to myself, especially at sunrise. This lone hiker was my only companion so I tracked his progress with my long lens. I felt this was the most compelling comp. BTW, when I posted this in the Landscape gallery a number of folks thought the BG was sky but it’s actually another giant dune. All comments welcome.>=))>

4 Likes

This is a gorgeous and compelling image, Bill. I love all the lines and the way they work together and the semi-monotone background works very well with that bright blue shirt.

Beautiful image, with all the distinct lines and contrasts. The lone figure works really well here!

I agree with Dennis “a gorgeous and compelling image”! The lone figure is perfect for a sense of scale and the large version is particularly nice as it provides a strong sense of presence. Perfect for the theme and a fantastic photo, Bill!

What a place , what a moment. So well made, Bill !

I remember this one, beautiful!! Great choice for the challenge, too.

Great shot @Bill_Fach…he’s so nicely framed and placed within the image! I also really like how the darker luminance of the right shadowed region is balanced by the area behind the hiker. I’m probably nit-picking here, but the only distracting element to me is the foreground line rising from the lower right corner…it has some darker regions to my eye and tends to tug at my attention slightly more than it should relative to the other elements. I’d be tempted to dodge in the darker components of that line to decrease contrast while retaining its presence.

Really fine image, Bill. Superb framing and processing looks great to my eye. Definitely a “portfolio image”.

Excellent composition, Bill, lovely tones and a neat figure to meet the theme. Very enjoyable image !!

Wow, Bill, another one and small in the frame image. The colors and textures in the dunes are wonderful and really set off the tiny human. This would make a good cover for the scifi book Dune.

Bill,
This is super class, no other words.
Balan Vinod

This is a spectacular image, I looked at the image before reading your text and voila, you answered my question about the background. Very well done, I have no advice to improve it.