Going It Alone

After seeing Mario’s excellent B&W of a similar scene I was hesitant to post one of my favorite images from Great Sand Dunes NP but decided to go ahead. On this early cold morning in November 2014 this guy and I were the only folks in the park. He was getting an early start on his trek up the dunes and looked prepared for a full day of exploring. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A77
Sony 70-400GII @ 400mm

2 Likes

Hi Bill, this is stunning. I can see why you like it. I do too. The angles and lines really make it work, and the monochromatic colors are the best. Excellent.

So much to admire about this image, Bill. Love all the lines and the composition. The man just adds to the loneness of the scene. The color version, at least for me, also adds to the desolate feel. Just curious about the sky in the background, was it the lighting that made it the same color as the sand? Perhaps it is not even the sky? Great capture and very nicely done.

Linda: It is another larger dune and not sky. Thanks for your kind words.

Whoa, I had no idea Bill. I’ve been to these dunes, but did not have the opportunity to hike them, so it is quite perplexing to me having seen them to not have realized the massiveness of them. Feel I missed out on a lot. Well maybe next time.

I have been looking at this off an on since you posted it, and still hadn’t decided what I thought it was. It looks a lot like sky that’s been tinted in post to be the color of the sand.

Brilliant composition and handling of the processing. Pure genius.

Wow! This is wonderful! The lines, shapes and tonalities are fantastic!

If that “sky” is another dune, it must be about the size of the whole county!

Magnificent. I too wondered about the background. I love the colors and the gentle, curvy lines of the ridges. And the smallness of the hiker. Beautiful.

Bill, the lone, dark hiker in the midst of all the creamy tones in the dunes stands out well. The far dune has textures that are reminiscent of clouds in the sky, which makes careful viewing important. That dark, textured, steep dune face on the right adds a nice bit of visual balance.

I think that every one has said what I feel about this photo. Just Fantastic

Beautiful monochromatic landscape Bill! I love the windy last dune and the nice curce in the right bottom; I lke less the bottom dark diagonal line pointing towards the curve. I would have preferred more luminous.
Ciao Bill, we wiil see somethimes again.