"Grenzgletscher Glacier"

What technical feedback would you like if any? All critique is welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All critique is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) Single shot, Sony A7R2/Metabones Adaptor/Canon 24-70mm F 2.8 lens, 1/3 sec @ f/8.0, 24mm, ISO 100, tripod with 2 second delay.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

dougbluntphotos

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
6 Likes

Oh wow, what a classic scene, Doug. No nits just marveling the beauty here. Very well done.

Lovely composition and processing here Doug. In this image, I like the jet trail. It’s a reminder to look at what the glacier once carved and not how much it has receded.
ML

Doug,

Beautifully captured, processed and presented. I think the light/color on the landscape and glacier is appropriate, given the sun is down and behind the mountains.

For me, I’m wishing the main contrail wasn’t there, but what can you do…

Thanks for sharing.

Lon

Really great image. I agree about the contrails. I’d try cloning them.

The overall color is a little warm for me. I downloaded and tried cooling it a bit and liked it better. I also tried black and white and really liked it. It can seem counterintuitive to take a sky like this black and white but the glacier and rocks look great.

I edited with my phone, so don’t judge the edit.

Thank you all…I really appreciate getting other sets of eyeballs on the edits. Sometimes, I just get too close to them, even if I take my time … and step away during editing. So the comments are very helpful and appreciated.

Beautiful composition and wonderful sky Doug. I too prefer images without contrails, and would clone them out, but realize that is a personal taste.

Beautiful light and color, Doug. Overall, I like your composition, but one minor nit is the way that the flow of the glacier leads my eye out of the frame on the right hand side. I feel like it would be advantageous to have a bit more room or even a horizontal composition, but of course I do not know what is out of frame to the right. This is still a minor point on what is still a wonderful image!

I have to agree with Bradley on this one. The b&w conversion is superior. There is a glow to his landscape that’s missing in the original. Perhaps that tonal glow can be introduced in the color version. I think the sky looks better in the original but the sky in the b&w can be further processed and improved. In the color version there is a great sky but the rest looks flat and unicolored due to being in shadow. The shadow area needs vitality and I would do it with contrast and color.

Just a quick comment @Doug_Blunt. I really like this photo in color. Most all of my glacier photos are cool. This warm scene is great. Don’t lose the color in this one.

And if you’re one to do such work, I’d consider using content aware or something to remove this contrails, but if not… ignore them as they really don’t distract that much from this overall scene.

Nice work man. :slight_smile: