"Griz in a Bliz"

This image was taken during a late and unforecast spring snowstorm in Yellowstone NP. Conditions were challenging (the heavy snow kept the auto focus from functioning) and keeping the lens clear of snow became a full time job. What appears to be snow on the lens is largely patches of snow and ice on the bear. And, in spite of the conditions, she successfully dug up a couple of ground squirrels.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

The snowstorm was not expected so a planned shoot around Yellowstone Lake turned into a hunt for wildlife - saw not only the grizzly but also several moose.

Technical Details

Nikon D200
Nikkor 80-400 mm at 400 mm
f5.6
1/750 second
ISO 400

1 Like

At the risk of being punny, this is just too cool! There’s a little bit of abstract quality to it with the snow and ice obscuring almost all but the outline of the bear. There’s some cool texture in the fur, too. Killer image, @Doug_Beezley!

Thanks, Bret. I like the cool pun. Next time I’m in Moab I’ll look you up and tell you the story about how Ranger Kristi helped me get this shot - way too long for here.

A stunning frame, captured very nicely !
Kind of time, when bad weather results in wonderful images. If you like, you may reduce the sharpening a touch.

Thank you, I appreciate your compliments and suggestion. I will go back to the image and start with minimal sharpening.