Grizzly at Dawn

Description: Found this grizzly at first light at Lake Clark NP in Alaska. The light was amazing as you can see. It was a cold morning and if you look the bear’s breath is visible.

Specific Feedback Requested: Lots of options to process an image like this. I was going to go with a full silhouette of the bear but I found I had enough light on his face to include the rim light and the detail of the body. Thoughts on processing and overall composition appreciated.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) Not a composite… Nikon Z6 II with a Nikon 200-500. ISO 1600. F8, 1/2000

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

2 Likes

Another gorgeous Grizzly image! I love the orange color on the field and the bear. It’s a beautiful capture!

1 Like

Andrew this is perfect as is. Don’t change a thing. I love the backlighting.

Beautiful capture very nicely composed, I really like the sunlit grasses in the foreground.
You may intensify the bear breath a touch.
IMHO reducing the saturation a touch may help the image.

Another nice grizzly shot with some excellent mood lighting yet plenty of detail on the bear. The backlit fur makes a cool halo around the bear and the visible breath provides a good sense of the early morning temperature. Nicely shot and processed, Andrew!

Nice rim lighting and colors, and I like the subtle touch of the breath (which shows nicely in the larger version). Well done, Andrew.