Grizzly Sunrise

Grizzly Sunrise

I was extremely lucky at Lake Clark NP to have not only a nice sunrise but a grizzly walking into my scene at dawn. I took multiple images and processed them in both horizontal and vertical versions. I like the environmental look of this one as it shows the tide is way out and this leaves enough on the far side of the sun to show where he is going to.

Specific Feedback Requested

Critiques always welcome. Trying to learn on each post. Thoughts on cropping please.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon Z6 2 with Nikon 200-500 on a tripod. ISO 800 F8 1/2500.

1 Like

I like the crop as presented. The amount of sky and beach are just right. There is enough room on the left for the bear to walk into. This is a wonderful image. Thanks for posting it.

This is an amazing image! I can’t even imagine the thrill it must have been to be so close to a Grizzly Bear!

This is an excellent image. The crop works very well. I like how the grizzly is about to walk into the sun’s reflection. I like the colors and the image has great balance. Nice job!

Great subject and beautiful sunrise, I’m sure you have got many variations of this :heavy_heart_exclamation:
I’ve a small suggestion, you may try if it works.
You may try to reduce blacks selectively in the foreground (between bear & bottom line and see if it adds some depth to the scene.

This is an excellent silhouette shot of this brown bear on the beach, Andrew! The setting sun with the distant land gives it a great sense of presence and depth. Good choice of composition!

Lake Clark was pretty good to you, it seems. I never had clear skies like this during my last visit, so I’m a bit jealous. :wink:

I like your decision to go horizontal and wider with this one. The balance works pretty well, though the crop choice doesn’t seem as simple as it might appear. Given the proximity of the sun and bear in the frame, having too much empty space on either side of them might throw it off. It ended up working in this case, but for this reason, a square crop would also certainly work as an alternative choice.